Main Menu

hotkey setup for a dps beastlord

Started by Bumkus, January 22, 2011, 07:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bumkus

combining things into single hotkeys has actually freed up hotkeys for me.

tying all my combat strikes to one key means i can put things like Feral Strike, Bite of the Asp, Chameleon strike on back pages.  I don't need to know when they refresh, since I will fire them all off by mashing my combat key anyway. 

Tying all spells and combat strikes to 2 keys actually means I don't have to look at certain parts of the screen at all.  This frees up my own mental bandwidth for things like watching HP bars, reacting to situational developments etc.  It also lets me act as raid caller for things like timers, event emotes, etc, without seriously impacting my performance.

I've tried to apply basic theory when I set up the keys.  The idea is to have the keys automatically fire off certain things in the correct order.  In the heat of battle i can't always remember is BA works better with Nature's Fury or if I should use EF.  Locking it into a hotkey means i can research it hard one time.

I definately agree it is important to understand basic theory and I am still learning there.  no set of hotkeys is gonna turn a low dps player into top dps if they don't apply the keys properly.

Let me know if you have any ideas for different burn order, especially in my BA and EF keys

My protective disc key is another one I am fussing with. 

preaceps

i just wanted to throw out there that i see a couple people having assist and pet attack separate.  I use a 3 line assist.
/assist main
/pause 5
/pet attack

Oddly enough without the pause it seemed to me to almost blow by the pet attack(due to targeting/assist lag), but that was way back in SoD when i made this.  Either way this should free up another keybind for some of you.

Khauruk

It won't for me!  Muscle memory is so ingrained that I need to be careful what goes onto my pet attack/pet back off key slots on alts!  I like having it separate for having pet offtank while soloing, but I don't do that too too much anymore.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Orbus1

I have to say I wouldn't want my /pet attack on my asssit key since a lot times i don't use my warder on trash clears in raids. Its a pain if he dies and if he does its always right before the named is pulled. Also a lot of the trash dies quickly so its just not worth it imo to send him in. Alsoi what if the mob you are fighting is like some of the mobs in Conv raids that have a huge DS, I will use assist to target the mob but then I just want to cast, and I know me, I will forget to hit /pet back in those situations.

nedoirah

I use a self and pet attack key tied togeather but then again I hardly raid with my bst thus I hardly worry about my pet dying. Mine is set up like this.

/attack
/pause 10
/pet kill

I always wait for assist to be called before using it unless I'm the one tanking (gasp... do bsts really do that?).

preaceps

I was merely meaning that it frees up another key.  And truthfully i end up manually targeting and hitting a(what i changed my attack hotkey to) to attack if i dont want to use pet on the raid mobs.

Jaxx

I am sooooooooo tired of mashing 8 million buttons, and am desperate for a means of simplifying things!  Forgive my ignorance, but could someone please explain exactly how you bind abilities/skills/spells to certain keys, especially multiple abilities/skills/spells to one key?  I am inparticular interested in binding our main nukes to a single key.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

gregais

Blarp

Khauruk

TURNCOAT!!!!!

nedoirah

What was the default attack key? A or Q?

Hzath

Beastlord Community Round Table representative.  Feel free to PM me or contact me in game (Drinal.Hzathz) about anything you think needs attention.

Nusa

Quote from: nedoirah on February 20, 2011, 04:58:24 AM
What was the default attack key? A or Q?
Originally the default attack key was A. I've no idea when the default got changed.

nedoirah

I seem to remember it being A for a long time at least back in SoL era and maybe past PoP but I also can't remember when it changed.

Khauruk

It was after I started during PoP.  I think it was changed maybe even as late as DoDh.
TURNCOAT!!!!!