Main Menu

what am I not doing

Started by strongbus, February 09, 2011, 10:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strongbus

http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/character_profile.vm?characterId=438087045502 there i am

trying to figure out what i am not doing/doing wrong.  I know alot of bst who don't have the ac/hp i do who can take out names in hot t1/2 with just a merc and i can't so trying to find out what i am doing wrong.

i self/merc buff up to 60k hp 5k ac not counting useing the short term buff with swarm pets.

what i am looking for stuff like what merc stance should i have going and should i have any of the mercs heals blocked or such.  also any tips to live though the fights

Khauruk

I don't know what they're doing, and I'm not sure I ever bothered to molo any of these, but to max your chances....

Merc - reactive.  Block everything but the fast heals (no HoT, Promised, complete Heal, etc...just EL, and the superfast heals).  Use Bolstering Warder to help out, and maybe hit yourself w/ para before engage.  Use BA so you can have defensive up at the same time, if necessary.  Warders gift is a nice oh shit heal also, and companion's sacrifice.

Pet tank if necessary.  He does a ton better than us.  Fortify Companion is a nice AA line for this, as well as the melee block and you can supplement heals on him.  You can also heal him alongside cleric merc.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Nusa

I was even able to do some of the T3 names as well with just one cleric merc on reactive, but I did get my AC up to 6K self-buffed.

I disagree that my pet tanks better than I do, but he does well enough to be useful. But as Khauruk said, remember your various pet abilities. Pet-tanking certainly is an option from the healing viewpoint, but it'll be a slower process.

Use your pets HP bar to supplement your own. I often let the pet take the initial shock of a pull while I slow/pile on DoTs, then step in before he's in trouble. Leave pet taunt on for soloing...makes it easier to step out of combat to use the pets HP.

Save protective disc for problem streaks...it'll keep you alive long enough for the cleric to catch up.

Use focused paragon on yourself constantly...both for mana and the HoT.
Use the growl version of swarm pets as required too...the HoT from that helps too.

Heal yourself if necessary. You aren't a cleric, but tossing ~8K heal's on yourself is significant enough to help the cleric keep you alive. (assuming you've bought the healing AA's, that is...8K is my average expectation, the actual values bounce around from ~4K to over 20K).

And, obviously, keep up the dps....faster the mob is burned down, the fewer problems you have to survive.

Brane

Quote from: strongbus on February 09, 2011, 10:54:31 PM
http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/character_profile.vm?characterId=438087045502 there i am

trying to figure out what i am not doing/doing wrong.  I know alot of bst who don't have the ac/hp i do who can take out names in hot t1/2 with just a merc and i can't so trying to find out what i am doing wrong.

i self/merc buff up to 60k hp 5k ac not counting useing the short term buff with swarm pets.

what i am looking for stuff like what merc stance should i have going and should i have any of the mercs heals blocked or such.  also any tips to live though the fights

Dumb question I know, do you have a T5 merc? :)

nedoirah

Not really a dumb question since SoD is older content now and some players don't want to spend time to get the better mercs, even though they only have to complete the earth theme for T5 mercs.

Gatash

This is my EQ players profile ( http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/character_profile.vm?characterId=429496865460 ) so you have a considerable edge on me. However, I do know that I can molo HoT T1 named without any issues - Sleepeater and Old Rusty being the ones I know for a fact I have done quite a few times, not sure if others would be more difficult.

At least in the case of the two mentioned, slow is considerably more effective on named than normal mobs so this mitigates the named damage down to near their level - I believe it is "mostly" successful on named rather than "partially". I always pull with slow regardless of mob but it's especially important on these named for me to survive the initial shock.

I would put bolstering warder on pet and drop hobble and epic proc to increase chance of it firing (thanks to Khauruk for our recent discussion on this). I don't have pet heal AA, so I have normal pet heal up, I swap disease DoT for willasp's mending and I always put dragonscale guard on and let it refresh before fight. I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that dragonscale is still our best protection on warder against melee as it takes 9 hits of any damage.

Pet taunt is on, merc on reactive (I always use this setting anyway, and I haven't ever bothered to block any of the heals he casts).

Pull with slow. If resisted, you will have time to get pet engaged where rune will eat up the initial damage while you have another go at slow. Can't see it taking more than two attempts but if it does, I use willasps just to ensure pet is safe while I keep trying (this in combination with merc heals and bolstering is more than enough).

Engage with melee and spells as you would normally, keep dps high. If any problems, back up for a second while merc heal goes off and pet can tank. IMO, if I were to restrict merc to instant heals only, he will not heal me if I back up because he will immediately focus on pet. With him being able to heal over time, there is a chance a promised heal already on me will go off while I am backed up. In general, I think it eases the transition between me or pet tanking. I would also note here that I rarely have to let pet tank, normally I can tank the whole fight.

I might have missed it, but I'm not seeing a pet focus earring on you. Do you have it as an aug on another item? I can't see all your items cos EQ players just gives me a load of nonsense.

I find 2 mobs considerably harder to do than named. In this case, it might be beneficial to have instant cast heals only for merc because I often find my pet fairs better than me; I can't tank two so pet OT is necessary. In this case, I use dragonscale guard mid-fight so that the merc can ignore pet for a few seconds and pull my health back up, shame about the cast time though :(

Khauruk

Dragonscale Guard does more hits, but the new one is faster cast, faster recast too iirc, so I use new one.  I haven't pet tanked enough to even know if they're on the same timer, so you might be able to use both, perhaps.  I'd swap out Willap's for Salve of Sevna, too.

Glad to see it's working for you, though!  I'd try to get a few ranks of Fortify Companion....Rusty/etc will definitely fall then.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Gatash

Hmm, I will investigate the warder runes then as I assumed all were on the same timer so I made a choice. I believe them to be much better than the pet heals we get due to it mitigating a huge amount more dmg than we can heal for, so makes up for the extra cast time. Maybe start with dragonscale and then mem a new one so that you have maximum mitigation on pull in case slow doesn't land?

I have seen a huge difference in Bolstering firing without epic and hobble. No need for hobble at all on these named so no harm in dropping. In fact, along with Kron's firing more often for extra stuns, this could ultimately be the explanation for why you are not able to tank them Stongbus.

I would never attempt to pet tank down the named, waaay too slow and mana intensive. Will continue to work on my defensive AA before my pet gets any more tanking love lol. When doing two mobs, I am easily the weak link in tanking and merc just not good enough to keep me and pet healed properly, it's really touch and go with double pulls when I'm on my own!

Hzath

Quote from: Khauruk on February 12, 2011, 07:19:59 PM
Dragonscale Guard does more hits, but the new one is faster cast, faster recast too iirc, so I use new one.

The new pet rune (spectral rampart) actually has a longer recast ( 1 minute) than dragonscale guard (36 seconds).  Spectral rampart also has a much shorter base duration, so always pre-buff with dragonscale guard.  It depends on the situation you're in which is best; if you can handle the 3.0 cast time (with spell haste) of dragonscale it will absorb more hits due to refreshing faster, but if you need an emergency rune the .5 cast time of spectral rampart is great.

Backing out for a few rounds while your pet's runes absorb the damage and allow the merc to catch up on heals is absolutely huge, definitely try it out if you haven't.
Beastlord Community Round Table representative.  Feel free to PM me or contact me in game (Drinal.Hzathz) about anything you think needs attention.