Main Menu

Suppose Ill be first here...

Started by Kashmiir Battlekat, January 28, 2004, 12:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kashmiir Battlekat

Are you a Beastlord who has the following?

a) Lots of time.
b) an extra $40.00 + $13.00/month
c) a second computer that can play Everquest
d) 2 hands and 2 arms
e) a little hand and eye cooridination

YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO DUO BOX!

Now I know that you dont HAVE to have a second computer. You can always use EQWindows, but I always recommend a second computer for duo-boxing.

If you have the time, resources and cooridination I *highly* recommend you consider a second character!

Gosh kashmiir, what should my second character be? Well that is argueable, but I will offer you my opinion. Try a Druid. Druids can buff, debuff, drop nice dots and dd's as well as heal you and port your dumb butt out of there when needed. Its a great second box to consider.

Holy Cow Kash! Thats sounds awesome, but I have some questions.

Question 1: Do I have to buy a second account?
Answer: Yes, you do.

Question 2: Will it cost me more money every month?
Answer: Yes, it will.

Question 3: Do I HAVE to have a second computer?
Answer: No, you do not. You can run EQWindows and run 2 sessions of Everquest at the same time in windowed mode and "TAB" between windows (I do nto recommend this personally).

Question 4: Is it tough?
Answer: At first, yes, you may find it difficult, but with time it will become easier and easier until it becomes almost second nature to you (just as playing your Beastlord is now)

SO GET OUT THERE AND DUO BOX! A whole new life will open up for you. No more "LFG" or "Im bored with nothing to do...". You will ALWAYS have SOMETHING to do!

So jump on the band wagon and make it happen. Your days will become better for it. I promise.

Jaeren

The big thing to remember with 2 (or more) boxing is to setup hotkeys that work for you. Everyone has different styles and theories on hotkey setups.

Some prefer to have hotkeys sit/stand the other chars if you dont have a horse or leezard (or are indoor) while others don't like it because you lose some timing control and may get agro (which is true, but there can be a toss up between how easy and the chance of agro).

I run Jaeren (bst) & Janrin (shm) on the same computer and have Velissia (clr) on a seperate computer. I find I use far more commands on Janrin than Velissia so it's easier to just alt tab back and forth while punching certain keys on the 2nd computer when needed.

Personally, I use hotkeys for sit and stand on my cleric (level 53 currently) with a longer timer than the spell needs to reduce agro. Janrin doesn't use stand commands and only one sit down command as I found i kept forgetting to sit down after that one and would slowly run out of mana :P

The main problem with running two characters on one machine is that unless you have lots of ram & cpu, the process in the background may lag and make auto follow a very risky thing.

I did 2 box with my beastlord and my druid (52 at first and then 53 with 3aa) in the beginning levels (I switched servers and had access to the druid from my cousin as he didn't use that account all that much) and it was quite useful, I found the lack of high powered heals to be troublesome though as that meant more heals to be done and more agro built up (halflings aren't the most robust things out there ;)

With my current setup, I can pretty easily do Droga so far, I haven't explored all that much, mostly between the entrance and the runri spawn and exit. It provides pretty good xp for the shm & clr and aa for my bst.

I'll add more when I can think of it, runnign on little sleep and worked all day.

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

Bulge

Hehe, Kashmir trying to win souls. Won't work, they think WE are the suckers, and I can't blame them. :)

My gratz to anyone that enjoys Everquest still while paying no more then 13 bucks for it. I did for the first 3 years.

Sorry, had to counter the "preaching" in your post a bit. ;) Even though I am sworn in by the devil himself with my 5-boxing. :D
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.