Main Menu

How is Feral Swipe damage calculated

Started by Vaynquish, February 24, 2012, 10:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaynquish

Just like the title says, also what skill attacks are based off Weapon dmg if any ? I notice alot of BL using some fast MH weapons so im assuming they getting more dps from their base than from the skill attacks. Thanks !!!

Inphared

The following holds true for almost any class, not just Beastlords in general:

Physical skill attacks (like Feral Swipe) use a coded value for their damage. This damage is modifiable by disciplines and buffs (like Bestial Alignment or Empathic Fury), and is subject to AC checks and damage dealt calculations, but the base value never changes. Currently at max rank, Feral Swipe is a 900 damage skill attack.

Magical skill attacks (like Bite of the Asp etc) are modifiable by things such as detrimental extension AAs and DoT Crit AAs, but are not modified by worn focii.

Base attacks have always overtaken skill attacks as the primary source of damage for players. The only exception to this might be Rogues in early-game EverQuest (ie year 2000), but I doubt that.

As for fast mainhand weapons, in today's cookie-cutter item design, faster is usually better. Blunt weapons should NEVER be a priority for any Beastlord. You also cannot proc Gelid Claw off of non-HTH weapon attacks, afaik.

Quilly

Well, 1 HB shouldn't be a priority, but should be in the bag for when cold spells are bad :) Isn't the proc cold based? I know at least 1 raid I did where cold healed the mob.  Thanks for that info Inphared.

Inphared

Depending on how the "cold-based-spell-heals-the-mob" script is coded, Gelid Claw can be safely cast with no repercussions. Usually most scripts that function like that require the spell you are casting to have a manacost of 10 or above. As Gelid Claw is a proc, it has a manacost of zero, and should be just fine.

There are undoubtedly exceptions, if anybody wants to point them out, because this game has all different kinds of bugs or event scripts.

Quilly

Hmmmm, that's good news! I know for fire procs (which take no mana) it definitely was a bad thing (Grekn in Foundation I think?).  I guess I never "saw" any emotes from the mob, just assumed, which I know is bad :P  Was thinking of the Brells Temple raid, on the water elemental.