Main Menu

Fun newbie-combo's for 5-boxing. Any ideas?

Started by Bulge, January 29, 2004, 11:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulge

I am 5-boxing a BL, Dr, Clr, Necro and Mage right now, but was thinking, since I have all the boxes and accounts anyway, to mess around a little in the lower end game with funny combo's. I am mostly thinking of picking 5 of the same class, to make it an easy setup and then think up fun strategies with that group.

For instance, how would a group of 5 low level wizards do? Or 5 bards?  Do the Bard AE dot stack with eachother? Maybe I could switch one of the classes to a class that is truly complementary to the other 4, like one tank to be the center of all the AE's that the wizards would throw at the mobs or some.

Any more ideas?
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Beakerr

Warrior, Cleric, Shaman, Wizard, and Rogue.  As you already 5 box and understand that mob placement becomes a key having a rogue as dps for you is actually quite easy let alone the added bonus of wizard damage.  Y  The only thing you would be missing is crowd control.  But, with a shaman's slow, 2 or even 3 pulls becomes easy to handle.
Beakerr - Beastlord and Rowlf - Bot
             or
Cefu - Short and Grumpy

Wokka Wokka
Maelin Starpyre

Bulge

Well, that looks like a kick-ass group if I wanted to actually pay attention to the role of each of the toons, but that is not what I am looking for. :)

I was thinking more in the lines off "have lots of the same classes and let their strong points add up". Such groups are easy to box, though their versatility is very limited, i'll admit.

No splitting up a crowded room with mobs when you have just 5 wizards: on the other hand, it could be fun to mass-nuke mobs and take them out in seconds, with maybe a bard running around between them, playing a Mana-regen song. Something like that. :)

Or maybe 1 warrior that holds aggro and 4 rogues sneaking up behind their back: this is in fact quit easy to do with the /follow command. You make the 4 rogues follow the warrior: the warior pulls a mob and taunts and aggroes it. The mob runs past the 4 Rogues that are tailing the Warrior, to face the warrior. The mob now has his back to the 4 rogues..... 4 quick pushes on my commander and the rogues start Backstabbing.

The key to these sort of group is fast DPS and fast kills.

Or maybe a stunning Cleric with AE nuking wizards? Or just keep it simple and make 5 Beastlords? 5 Necros stacking all their dots? It's more of a gimmick to play around with, not to take them to 65. I would also make them all the same race, since it is enough hassle with my current group, to gather all their spells around the world and watch their factin and whatever.

So same, race, mostly the same class(1 could be different to complement the roles of the other 4), same hometown, same spells to buy.

I have been thinking of creating a Troll family of Beastlords, called Bruk, Brak, Brek, Brok and Brik. I would let them run around in their loincloths and have them surround a mob and beat it up, aided by their warders. After the kill I would let them cheer in unison and maybe let them boogie a bit. ;) Stuff like that.
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Tastian

One of my favorite groups from a bit back was 1shm + 5 rogues lol.  Was a blast.  You could easily do 5 mages or 5 necros or even 5 bst.  Most bard dot's stack, but not ones with debuffs built in.  I've done bard AE groups and it's cool, but until later on it doesn't work too well.  If you didn't want rogues you could easily macro pet classes like a necro or mage or bst.  This leaves you free to really "play" the shaman and later on that makes a big difference in their efficency.  All sorts of convential healer/tank/etc you could do, but something different like this is really fun.  You might even want to try out shm + 4 ber (of different races maybe hehe) once GoD goes live.

Bulge

Quoteshm + 4 ber

Oooh, now there's a combo! 4 hasted and melee-buffed Badasses swinging their huge blades at a slowed mob. That isn't even fair! :D

Might be a fun way to try the new Ber class, since I intend to buy GoD anyway (this is where 5 boxing always hurts a little in the wallet, the expansions.... ;) )

I wonder how tankable Berserkers are. Probably not too well. But I am kinda leaning towards an all melee party, so that I will not have to worry about the puny casters all the time. So I like it. 5 Beastlords still sounds like fun too, some amazing DPS there. Also been thinking about tank + 4 rangers shooting arrows, but I guess this will only get interesting at higher levels.

Running mobs could be a problem with an all melee group, since as soon as they run, it will be hard to keep all the melee in range. Having 5 pets beat on the mob would do the trick fine though. Unless Berserkers get some kind of crippling blow ability or some. :) Who knows!

The more I think about it, the more I realize how powerfull and versatile a Beastlord is....and adding another Beastlord is just adding powerhouse upon powerhouse with an endresult that is more then the sum of the parts. For instance the fact that 5 proccing and bashing pets will pretty much solve your lack of snare and root.... it'll be bhard to come up with a combo that can beat 5 Beastlrods in raw power.  

There are more subtle combo's that will do better in certain areas, and the BL-group will miss some utility like porting and such, but still... .

I think I am also looking for a group without a true healer this time: just mad and fast dps. If they cant cut the mob(s) down before they go down themselves then never mind, just go down fighting and suck it up. :D

garios

You could go ae style.  3 wizards 2 chanters.  chain stun and ae things to death.  You have no healing but /shrug just dont let them unlock :).  That would be some fast lvling and nice dmg.
PredatorCaterclaw Spirittalker - 67 Beastlord - Firiona Vie
Ancient Caterbite Spirittalker - 67 Shaman -Firiona Vie

Jaeren

5 bsts can be quite effective actually and some people do 6 bst groups in ldon with paragon rotations ;)

5 bards could be quite a killer combo but you would be insane tryign to run them all unless you used somethign like xylobot which does violate the EULA.

5 bsts & 1 bard make a neat combination btw, I've done that one before (I was the bard)

5 rangers with archery mastery 3 & endless quiver would be good too but a lot of aa work and leveling ;)

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

danaconda

A full 5-group of beastlords would be absolutely SICK! I like the troll idea with the names and think you should try it out.

I only have access to a 3-box so it wouldn't be that great for me, but can you imagine 10 melee's beating the snot out of a mob? Screw healing, the troll regen will keep them all healthy considering you can switch off between 5 tanks. If any fight lasts longer than 30 seconds, i will be majorly surprised. Add to the fact that you can decently twink them all pretty easily, and pet damage is the same no matter your gear.......

I am drooling right now even thinking about all that DPS! You can even drop a wizzie in there so no mob even gets a chance to flee.......they hit 20% hp .... BOOM nuke 'em, no runner.

***EDIT: Now that I think about it, drop the wizzie and add a mage instead...... that's a total of 9 melee's and a nuker, plus all the pet toys at higher lvls if you stick it out....... :twisted:
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

Bulge

He, yes the mage with the pet toys would be cool. About the healing: the good thing about 5 beastlords is that you can start adding up all the small utility spells that they have and get some good healing for instance. Only drawback would be that I would end up with a puny class in the group again, which is what I want to avoid. My mages in my current group die the most. Nothing lost since I have a cleric in the group too, but still annoying and takes time.

If 1 beastie would tank a hard mob, then 4 clicks on my commanders would guarantee a 4x300=1200 hp heal from the other beastlords at 58+ level. Not too shabby. The regen indeed will come in handy too, this will cut down on the downtime healing big time.  Also you can deliver a 5x450=2250 nuke within 5 seconds: hows that for runners? :)
And if you dont want to position the other 4 all the time, you just make them sit  down and stack their dots instead or let them nuke or heal and rather play the caster role for a while.

I am wondering what would be best to have the other 4 Beasties wield: 2hb or H2H?  WHich skill is more suitable to compensate some of the "out of reach" thing which will happen undoubtedly a lot when positioning the BL's?